History Of Franconia New Hampshire
The prime focus of this article is to trace the history of Franconia New Hampshire. It is bounded north by Bethlehem, east by Livermore, south by Lincoln and Easton, and west by Lisbon. Read on to know all about the past of Franconia New Hampshire.
If we look in to the origin of Franconia New Hampshire, it was first chartered in 1764 by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth as Franconia. The name became widely popular in the region due to the terrain's similarity to the Frankish Alb in Germany. But as the settlers were not able to keep up to the agreed terms and conditions, it was re-granted along with a substantial portion of Lincoln in 1772 by his nephew Governor John Wentworth as Morristown. What followed was a considerable conflict of claims among the original grantees of Franconia and Lincoln and the Morristown grantees. Although the first permanent settlement of the town was made by Artemus Knight, Lemuel Bartlett and Zebadee Applebee and others in 1774, the settlement did not advance probably owing to the disagreement over land titles.
Franconia New Hampshire history reveals that in 1782, after a legal battle over the two grants, and following a court decision, ownership was returned to the original settlers. The first grant was recognized and the original name of the town was taken up again.
The town sits on a rich iron deposit, and western section of Franconia NH was at one time mined for copper and magnetic iron ore. Some of the well known and famous spots of this region are the Franconia Notch, the Old Man of the Mountains, Profile and Echo Lakes, the Flume, and the Basin. Cannon Mountain Aerial Tramway was the first passenger tramway to be built in North America in 1938. It rises to the 4,100-foot summit of Cannon Mountain. The town was also home to Franconia College during the 1960s and 1970s as the past of Franconia New Hampshire reflects.
As a conclusion to the article on the history of Franconia New Hampshire, it is important to mention here that the region of Franconia is richly spread as to present all chapters of beautiful scenery, which can be both wild and picturesque. With an area of 32,938 acres, out of which only 5,369 is improved land, the mountain streams in the eastern part of the town are united in forming Franconia Branch, a tributary of the east branch of the Pemigewasset.